Solid Waste Collection
The Town of Wingate utilizes Waste Connections for waste hauling services. This service is automatically offered to residents with Town of Wingate water and sewer services. Customers with active service will be provided two 96-gallon roll-out containers for garbage and recycle services.
Questions or Concerns
If you have questions or concerns regarding waste hauling services, contact Customer Service at Wingate Town Hall 704-233-4411.
All waste should be placed at the street the evening before collection to ensure it will be collected. Bins must be removed from the curb the day following collection. Rollout containers should be placed with lid opening toward the street and handles toward the residence.
- Garbage, bulky trash, and yard waste are picked up every Thursday. (Check our Waste Collection Calendar for changes due to holidays.)
- Place bulky trash next to container rather than inside; call our offices to request a bulky pickup.
- Yard waste must be cut under 4 feet in length, under 6 inches in diameter, less than 50 pounds, and placed in bundled piles manageable by one person.
- Yard waste from commercial trimmers or lawn care services will not be collected through town services.
- Leaves must be bagged in clear plastic or opaque bags.
- Items that are not acceptable for pickup may be taken to Union County Landfill 704-233-5334) located at:
2125 Austin Chaney Road
Wingate, NC 28174
Garbage is collected each week while recycle is collected every other week. Typically, pickups occur on Thursdays; however, the schedule is subject to change based on holidays. Holidays changes are noted on the yearly schedule. It is recommended that containers be set out on Wednesday evenings as collections begin early on Thursdays.
Roll-out assistance is provided for qualified disabled and elderly households. For more information, contact Customer Service at Wingate Town Hall 704-233-4411.
Items that are placed next to bins will only be collected if they are acceptable items and if a request is made. Please contact our Customer Service department at 704-233-4411 to schedule a pickup for items that are placed next to bins (bulky garbage, yard waste, etc.) Pickups will only occur on regularly scheduled pickup days; however, the drivers will need to be notified of any additional trash in advance.
- Carpet - rolled and cut no longer than 4 feet in length
- Furniture - sofas, chairs, tables, mattresses, box springs, bed frames, desks, dressers (all dismantled as much as possible)
- Lawnmowers - Push type only - gas and oil must be removed
- Yard debris - cut under 4 feet in length, 6 inches in diameter, under 50 pounds and bundled in piles manageable by one person
- Appliances - stoves, microwaves, washers, dryers, water heaters, refrigerators, air conditioners, etc.
- Automobile parts - motors, tires, rims, car seats, batteries, etc.
- Ceramic tile, concrete blocks, bricks, dirt, sand, etc.
- Electronics - televisions, computers, monitors, printers, etc.
- Fencing materials
- Paint and other hazardous waste
- Propane or oxygen tanks
- Roofing or construction materials and debris
- Yard waste that was cut or cleaned up by a professional landscaping company
These lists are not all-inclusive. If you have questions about items not listed or need further clarification, please contact Customer Service at 704-233-4411.
Recycle pickup occurs every other Thursday. Check our Waste Collection Calendar for changes due to holidays.
If you participate in the recycling program, you are eligible to gain points which can be redeemed for rewards through Recyclebank. You must register for a free account through the Recyclebank website and confirm your service address to gain points.
Leaf Collection Guidelines
In addition to weekly scheduled collections, the Town of Wingate Public Works Department offers leaf vacuuming to utility customers. This service typically from November until February. Please follow the guidelines provided on this page to make the pickup of leaves more efficient, less damaging to the equipment, and safer for town staff.
Pickup will begin at the start of each work week. The truck will drive through each area of town once per week picking up leaves. If leaves are not out when the truck comes by, please have them out for pickup the following week. Place leaves within four feet of curb / road to ensure the truck and vacuum will be within reach. Avoid placing leaves within six feet of posts, poles, fences, shrubs, etc. for the same reason. Do not place leaves in ditches as this could potentially lead to storm drain blockage.
Piles containing trash, limbs, rocks, glass, or building materials mixed in will not be picked up. These items can damage the leaf vacuum or cause injury to the employees operating the machine. We will not be able to pick up leaves and/or grass clippings that have been mulched up. The mulching process of most lawn mowers causes small rocks and debris to be picked up.
Leaves that are bagged will be picked up with the weekly garbage service. Place the bags at the edge of the road with your rollout garbage container.
All Other Yard Waste
Limbs and other yard waste must be cut under 4 feet in length, 6 inches in diameter, and bundled in piles manageable by one person. Waste Connections will need to be made aware of yard waste piles in advance of pickup. To schedule a yard waste pickup, contact Town of Wingate Customer Service at 704-233-4411.